Monday, April 7, 2008

4/7/08 @ Pirates; W 10-8; (4-3)

The Cubs first road trip started out in spectacular fashion. I was at Great American Ballpark with my friend Sean Murray, my three boys, and his two boys. When the Cub Pirates score was posted following the third inning, I was ecstatic. A seven run lead after three innings when our highest game total is nine!

I quit paying attention to the score of the Cubs game due to having five boys under age 12 with me and enjoying the atmosphere of Great American Ballpark. Side note, Bronson Arroyo surrendered four home runs before he left the game. The Reds made a valiant effort at coming back and had the winning run at the plate in the ninth. The weather was perfect with the sun shining and the temperature in the 60s. That was a great way to take in my first game of the 2008 season.

When we left the game, I wasn't even concerned about the Cubs. I have none of them on my fantasy team, and I was very secure in the seven run lead. So when I checked the score on my cell phone, I was shocked to find it tied at 8 in the eleventh inning. Quickly I got my browser to the play by play page, and as soon as we came in range of AM 720, put the game on the radio.

So the game ended in our favor, thanks mostly to free passes from the Pirates pitching staff. In fact our two runs in the final inning came without a hit! Thus we now have a three game win streak and are above .500 for the first time this year. The top two hitters this season, Fukudome and Lee both had multi hit games. Geovony Soto added three hits as well, doubling his total for the season.

Reed Johnson started again and drew a couple walks in addition to a base hit, while scoring two runs. I am expecting to see him stay in the starting lineup for the time being. Interesting to me was that Carlos Marmol worked the twelfth inning for the save. I haven't heard mention of why Kerry Wood didn't work that last inning, but will keep my eyes open.

Tomorrow is a day off. Well deserved after three extra innings the emotion that this game required.

No comments:

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner