Wednesday, April 23, 2008

4/22/08 vs Mets; W 8-1; (14-6)

This post will be quasi live as I have just been able to get the game on and will update during the time I can keep watching. I am going to have to leave around 4:15 EST, so the game will be in the sixth inning most likely. I’ll listen on the radio and update this post tonight.

Lilly is off to a good start getting us to the fourth inning with no runs allowed. I just turned on the game in time to see Ronny Cedeno double to right to plate Kosuke Fukudome. Angel Pagan, thanks for kicking it around by the wall.

After an intentional walk to Blanco, Lilly hustled out a grounder to second while Delgado and Figueroa made dinner plans. That loaded the bases for Reed Johnson who took advantage by dropping a curve ball into left field for a two run single.

Len Casper just updated us on the fact that the 13-6 start I mentioned in an earlier post was last achieved in 1985. Should we win today, it will be the first time since 1975 since we won 14 of our first 20. Should we do that, it also gives us a 7-1 home stand. I know, I know, it’s just April.

After allowing two base runners, Lilly got out of the jam. End of five, no runs allowed, and only two hits. This is easily his best outing for the season so far.

Our half of the fifth gave us a couple base runners, but no runs. Len did mention the Cubs are only two wins away from 10,000 all time. I’ll have to research some other major league clubs and see where that stands.

Lilly allowed the bases loaded with only one out. DeRosa just took a chance on a weird looking low liner by Brady Clark. He made a diving attempt to catch it in the air and prevent a run from scoring. He ended up getting the force at second and Raul Cassanova grounded to shortstop to end the inning.

If you missed Doug Glanville singing the seventh inning stretch you missed a gem. He did his best Harry Caray impersonation for both the intro and the song. It was hilarious.

As I leave my appointment, and turn on the radio, I am just in time to hear Ronny Cedeno hit a grand slam. Maybe I should be notified every time he is about to hit in a key situation so that I can turn on the TV or radio and ensure he comes through. Early in today’s game Ronny hit with the bases loaded and made an out. That was the first time this year. He is now 4 for 5 this season with the bases loaded.

That shot allowed Kerry Wood to sit down and Kevin Hart wrapped up the ninth inning for us. With this series being only two games, that goes down as our third series sweep of the season.

No comments:

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner