Tuesday, September 23, 2008

9/23/08 @ New York; L 2-6; (95-61)

Just prior to the game I spoke to Gene, godfather to my oldest son Zach. He is a huge Mets fan. The only game I ever saw at Shea Stadium was with him. He was at the game last night. He was asking for my support for the Mets. I told him I couldn't root against the Cubs, but didn't expect much in a matchup that pitted Johan Santana against Sean Marshall.

Turns out, I was half right. Sean Marshall left the game after five innings with a 2-2 tie. He did a pretty good job, striking out seven. Much better than I thought. However, Santana ended up going eight innings allowing only the two runs. A really poor sixth inning by Chad Gaudin was the difference as the Mets scored four times. The killer was a three run triple by Jose Reyes.

Reed Johnson and Kosuke Fukudome had spotted the Cubs a 2-0 lead after three innings. After that, Chicago managed just four hits the rest of the way. Johnson and Fukudome each had a couple hits to lead the way.

And with the luxury of playing for nothing, we move on to the next day. Two wins needed with four games to play for my lifetime regular season win total. Big Z will go tomorrow and try to pick up one of them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can feel for Mets fans (like your son's godfather), albeit the Cubs may face New York next week.

Yet, put yourself in Mets' fans shoes...an epic collapse in '07 and they're on the brink of another one this year.

Cubs fans know the feeling all too well, unfortunately.

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner