Friday, September 19, 2008

9/18/08 vs. Brewers; W 7-6; (92-59)

I'm at work preparing for a meeting with the Regional VP who is in town today. I'm tracking the game on my phone, and the Cubs lead 2-1 when I have to go to the meeting. Rich Harden is in trouble again so I am a little concerned. By the time I get out of the meeting and get Ron and Pat on WGN 720 on my car radio, it is extra innings.

At that point I am rushing to board meeting for the CCFA. Again, I have to track the game on my phone as Chicago wins on Derek Lee's single in the twelfth. As happy as I am, I have no idea about the circumstances surrounding this game until the next morning.

Having missed everything from the top of the fifth to the bottom of the tenth, I didn't realize the Cubs were trailing 6-2 in the ninth with two outs and no one on. For the Brewers, this loss may be worse than getting swept by us in Milwaukee. This very well may have signaled the absolute end of their season.

My friend Gerry told me that he was listening, and Pat and Ron actually called it. He said once Aramis Ramirez doubled...error on Ryan Braun....they said all Chicago needed was an rbi single, another base hit, and a three run homer by Soto. That is exactly what they got. I can't even imagine the atmosphere at the game at that time.

I won't even go into stats for any individual in this game because this is about the team. Everyone did what they had to do, when they had to do it and earned a win in what may be called the defining game for Chicago Cubs 2008. They never give up, they are never out, this is their year!

2 comments:

SHOW said...

In a year full of defining moments, that was the one. Cutting the magic number to two after getting four straight hits (and four straight runs) with two outs in the ninth to tie it ... even moreso than the no-no by Big Z, this game was the signature moment of the 2008 Cubs.

Of course, I'm only counting the regular season. The postseason will bring more ... and better.

Anonymous said...

Boy oh boy, how many times have we seen this team come from behind like that. But as impressive as this win was, I have to say that the May 30 win over the Rockies is the single most defining win for this team. Down 9-1 in the sixth inning and coming back to win 10-9? That said, the 4-game sweep of Milwaukee is the defining series of this regular season. It could all culminate today with a win over the Cards.

Go Cubs Go!

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner