Sunday, August 10, 2008

8/9/08 vs. Cardinals; L 3-12; (70-47)

When I arrived at Wrigley Field today, I told my wife that Mark DeRosa would have the best day of any Cub. After he homered to tie the game in his first at bat, I felt pretty good about my prediction. Then the game of home run derby broke out.

The Cardinals hit four bombs in three innings, interrupted by Zambrano hitting one himself, to take a commanding 9-2 lead by the end of the fifth.

Hardly what I expected to see from Zambrano today on my third trip to Wrigley this year. He didn't make it out of the fifth inning and gave up nine runs.

Chicago, on the other hand, didn't even get nine hits. They rarely threatened and the Wrigley faithful had to endure idiot Cardinal fans who thought this win clinched the pennant. I politely reminded them to check the standings when they got home.

DeRosa did have the best day of any Cub. Unfortunately the homer was it. Only Alfonso had two hits, both singles. The only extra base hits were the solo shots by Z and DeRo.

Now it falls to Ryan Dempster to win the series. The Cub hitters will square off against Chris Carpenter in his third start since elbow surgery.

A win would send the team back on the road in good fashion, finishing the home stand 6-3. Plus it sends those ridiculous Redbird fans back to Missouri with their tail feathers between their legs.

No comments:

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner