Thursday, August 28, 2008

8/28/08 vs. Phillies; W 6-4; (84-50)

Do you believe!?

Do you believe!?

I was ready to let this one go. I was preparing myself for a loss, which is going to happen against the Phillies at some point in this series. I wasn't happy about it, but I was prepared. Then Randy Hundley joined Len & Bob in the TV booth, and two home runs later....what can you say?

This post was going to be about Ryan Dempster not having his best stuff, but working through it to only give up one run. This post was going to be about Mark DeRosa tripling to extend his hitting streak to ten games and tying the game in the process.

Philadelphia wouldn't let that happen. They scored and scored again following DeRosa's game tying triple and had a 4-1 lead heading into the bottom of the eighth. I don't know where the post was going at that point.

Then Mike Fontenot pinch hit and went yard. Little Mikey Fontenot. Muscled up and went deep. Alfonso followed with a double. "I like how this is going" I told my wife. Ryan Theriot hit...guess what...a single to right field. First and third no one out. Derek Lee draws a walk. Bases loaded, no out, Aramis Ramirez at the plate. The only thing we no for sure, he isn't going to hit a three run homer. No, instead he hits a NO DOUBT grand slam. The Phillies center fielder barely turned around, much less moved towards the ball.

Just like that...a three run deficit is turned into a two run lead in only five hitters. What else can this team do. They win yesterday with two runs in an inning when only one ball is hit out of the infield. They win today with a grand slam in the eighth inning, following a pinch hit home run.

Zambrano throws poorly, they win. Marquis throws great, they win. Dempster is so so, they win. I don't know what else to say....Cubs Win! and Win! and Win!

Next year can wait!

2 comments:

SHOW said...

The best part is, it's becoming harder and harder to find flaws. The Phillies led the majors in bullpen ERA entering the game.

Now the game where their ace is on the mound is over. And they're in Wrigley, facing 3 of our best 4 starters until Labor Day.

Good luck, and good night.

Anonymous said...

I love it. I love it. I love it. I admit I just about gave up on them too. I was "cheating," on them and flipping to watch college football's start on the ESPN's. But I came back...and wow. With the Colts seemingly getting injured everyday and a BRUTAL schedule, my fall is set up nicely regardless. You will find me in my new basement on my new sports couch watching and praying.

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner