Wednesday, June 4, 2008

6/3/08 @ Padres; W 9-6; (38-21)

Last night I was planning to watch the game start to finish. I had been at the game Sunday, but was only able to watch a portion of the game on Monday night. I made plans to attend Wolfies, normally a great place to catch a game. I was meeting Sean there at 10 to celebrate a good day at work and take in the 9th win in a row for the Cubs.

Only to my dismay, Wolfies doesn’t subscribe to the Direct TV package that includes Comcast Sportsnet! So instead I enjoyed my Bass Ale watching girl’s softball. How ridiculous to not upgrade the package to include this channel. How much beer do you have to sell during a single Cubs game to make it worth it? It isn’t like this is a non sports establishment. They have more TV’s on the wall than the number of teams Kenny Lofton has played for.

Two beers later, I trekked out into a thunderstorm to return to my house, where I actually get Comcast. By the time I arrived, the Cubs were down 2-0 and hitting in their half of the fourth. I watched until they tied it up in the fifth, then went to bed (early morning work meeting) confident my Cubbies had things under control.

Sure enough, while I slept they took care of business. In fact, their very next turn at the plate netted them three additional runs. Geovany Soto led off with a solo shot and Mark DeRosa (great fantasy pickup by me) hit a two run homer. The Cubs eventually stretched the lead to six with a three run shot by Alfonso Soriano in the eighth inning.

After Marquis’ rough start, he settled in enough to work through the fifth and pick up the win. Wuertz, Eyre, Hart, Cotts, and Howry combined to get the Cubs to the ninth inning. Only Kevin Hart had a rough outing, giving up three earned runs and only retiring one hitter.

Kerry Wood needed only twelve pitches to pick up his NL leading sixteenth save. In the process he struck out two. I am tempted to believe, and even posted on Baseball Fan Blog, that we may come home from the west coast with a 14 game win streak. Should that happen, we are talking about the fourth longest streak in Cub history, at least that I have found mention of.

They’ll have a tougher time today against Maddux, although in their prior game against him they dominated. I expect a better outing tonight, but still a win for the Cubs.

No comments:

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner